Thursday 15 January 2009

Manure!

A little bit of wisdom suddenly came back to me, and I think it's worth posting.

"Hello Dolly!" was on telly the other day and I happened to catch the end of it (I think it's the musical that Wall:E watches so I thought I'd see what it was about). This quote came up that I thought was a real pearl for today:

"Money, pardon the expression, is like manure. It's not worth a thing unless it's spread around, encouraging young things to grow." 
Dolly Levi

I'm no financial expert but it makes a lot of sense. All I seem to know is Monopoly, but it's still a good lesson. Having cash in hand doesn't mean that much (hopefully my brother doesn't learn this lesson so I can have another whole street full of houses).

The UK is an whole heap o' mess with this 'credit crunch'. It's not hard to see where the problems came from, basically all we have here are shops (with multiple credit cards given to everyone) and we don't really make anything. It looks like only now everyone has finally realised that the whole economy is unbalanced.
I can't see how anyone can see everything getting back to normal sometime soon ('normal' wasn't good anyway), especially when we have politicians saying:

"Our debt isn't as bad as America's"

Anyone who has seen I.O.U.S.A. will be very very worried. 

Hopefully more people will give the Liberal Democrats a chance, hearing Nick Clegg on Simon Mayo's show (best podcast by the way) was a breath of fresh air, simply because he was honest. 

I'm staying positive though, common sense will come back and after looking through the last edition of 'Monocle' there are many intelligent people out there with good ideas, if only they could get the attention they deserve. I'd also love it if we all learned from Cuba through their answer to the problem: urban farming (back to the good old allotments).

No comments: